The Harbour Crane is one of many buildings that symbolise Gdansk, but also bear witness to the city's heyday as a trading centre. First mentioned in 1376, it burnt down in 1442 and was rebuilt in 1444, retaining its appearance ever since. It was used, among other things, to attach masts to ships and was at one time the largest crane in the world with a lifting capacity of 4 tonnes up to 11 metres. It was in use until the mid-19th century and was destroyed in 1945 during the battles for Gdańsk. After the war it was rebuilt and donated to the Maritime Museum. There is a permanent exhibition on the workings of the gate between the 16th and 18th centuries, a clear winner for all age groups, whether on a summer holiday or weekend break in Gdansk.
© Copyright. The material may not be reproduced without written permission.