At the southeast end of the square is the spectacular fountain, or water art as it is called. The fountain, in the Dutch Renaissance style, was built from 1579-1602 to plans by Phillipp Brandin of Utrecht.
The 12 limestone columns support a beautiful copper roof, topped by a hexagonal lantern. Until 1897, the well supplied drinking and service water to around 220 households through wooden water pipes.
© Copyright. The material may not be reproduced without written permission.