At the western end of Regensburg is the Schottenkirche, originally a Benedictine monastery founded by Irish monks in 1150. Today it is a Roman Catholic parish church and is named after the numerous Scottish monks and missionaries who lived here in the years between 1560 and 1860. One of the highlights of the building is the stunningly ornate Scottish entrance, at the north end of the church, which makes it one of Germany's most important Romanesque buildings.
© Copyright. The material may not be reproduced without written permission.